Thursday, January 7, 2010

A Chubby Girl looks at 50

Back in the running shoes once again. I stepped on the scale last week and found an extra six pounds hitching a ride into the new year. Damn the egg nog and rum and nuts and candy and fudge and cookies and lack of motivation to get out there and get my wiggle on.


I’m one of those people that BELIEVES that the new year brings a fresh start. And I am always just a little disappointed when the new year ends up being just a continuation of the old one. This is going to be a big year for me: I turn 50 in just a few short weeks. FIFTY. I am in shock that THIS is what 50 feels like. I thought by this time in my life I’d know all the answers, be settled, be rich, be old. Well, none of those seem to be true. I have more questions every day. Unsettled seems to be my middle name. My retirement dollars are more like retirement cents. And I refuse to act or be my age.


Last year I completed several 5k’s and enjoyed the last one just as much as the first one. I do not love the act of running, I love the act of finishing. I love the feeling that I started and finished something. I love the sweat and the wild hat hair. I love that my goofy husband follows me to these runs and takes the pictures to prove that his aging wife is refusing to grow up. I am lucky in many ways. I have good health, fabulous friends, bad dogs and the sense to appreciate all of the above.

So this year, I hope to blog a little more often. I’ve noticed that I generally write when I have an EVENT. Life is not just about the EVENTS, it is about the day to day, the ups and downs, the smiles and the tears. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it. Happy 2010. Let’s make it a TEN!

3 comments:

  1. WooHoo - glad to see you getting your blog on! I love the comment about the goofy H taking the pictures to prove you are refusing to grow up - like any of us were questioning that. I'm looking forward to reading more in the new year. Write on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe that you will be the big 50 this year. Looks like you have big plans for the year. I wish i could be there to give you big hugs and have a drink with you on the big day. Looking forward to filling you more on the blog this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We enjoyed meeting you last night at the Susan G appreciation dinner! Let's "raise the bar" this year and go for the 8K Shamrock Run!! Keep that wiggle goin' on!

    ReplyDelete