Sunday, September 20, 2009

I SURVIVED THE RACE FOR THE CURE!!

Here I sit. I may not get back up for awhile. Today I ran in the Portland Race for the Cure with 40,000 of my closest friends. That’s not an official count, but it seemed to be about that many from my perspective. It was a stunningly beautiful morning for a party and I’m glad I was there.




My goal was to run the 5k twice, then walk the last 5k with my friends. Can I tell you I had nightmares? All night I kept waking up to see if I was sick (OMG how will I run with the flu?) or if I had overslept (OMG what happens if I wake up at 7:00 and miss the whole thing?). But I wasn’t and I didn’t.

The first 5k was great fun; I was pretty focused and only stopped to take a few pictures. I kept motoring along and thought that maybe I was on pace to run this one faster than any previous race. Okay, I am using the word ‘faster’ very loosely. I should say ‘less slowly’ instead. But I was doing fine. Until the train. Amtrak. I have the pictures to prove it. I will admit that it was nice to have a moment to catch my breath, but really had to get my wiggle on as soon as it passed



Rob, the ever patient husband, snapped my picture at the finish line. I haven’t seen it yet, but I trust that I am looking a little damp. I am looking forward to seeing my final time; Once again, I forgot to push the stop button on my watch. After a short break for water and tinkle, I headed back to the start line for Race #2.

If the first race was fun, race #2 was SPECTACULAR. This race was all women and there were more talkers and visitors on this run. These women were out for the socializing and a good time. Sigh, my kinda people. I took LOTS of pictures and made LOTS of stops and chatted with LOTS of women. It was so fun. It was more relaxed and I was no longer afraid that I was going to puke in the street. And nothing hurt.

Rob got another picture of me crossing the finish line. Haven’t seen that one either, but I bet I look relieved. After a brief banana and water break, it was back onto the course to find Mary, Andrea and Meri.

I had to run to catch up with them, so got in just a little more running (and lived to tell about it) before hooking up with them about a mile in. There were SOOOOOO MANY people on the walk you could hardly see pavement. Men, Women, boys, girls, babies and a few dogs, all walking for the same reason: Cure this Cancer. It was very emotional at times. I am very lucky that my friend Mary survived her tangle with the cancer and I was honored to be walking with her. Rob got a picture of her crossing the finish line as well. I am very proud of her.

So I did it. I did all three legs. My butt muscles are sore and my feet are tired, but I did it and managed to wave and smile and WOOOHOOO most of the way. I’ll get some pictures posted soon, but now I must go watch some football and have a reward beer.

Thank you to everyone who donated to my race…and thank you to those that are still planning to donate. Our work is not yet done. Joggle On!

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations! And thank you for running for those of us who have benefited from the advances in breast cancer treatment and for all of those going forward who (hopefully!) don't ever need to know you did this for them. You ROCK!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great person sums it up. Thanks for your three legged run and walk. I would so love to see that ugle word taken out in my life time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job! That's amazing! Maybe next year I can join you! Although, I'd probably only do ONE 5K leg. :)

    ReplyDelete